photo home.jpg  photo about.jpg  photo adventures.jpg  photo eat.jpg

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Coconut & Muesli Slice

One thing I never do is buy "snack foods" from the supermarket. The ingredient lists are always scarily long, and as I have basically cut refined sugar from my diet these days, I find them all far too sweet. Plus, I love an excuse to get baking! I've spent many an hour scouring the internet for healthy bars and biscuits, and the other day I decided to try make my own. I haven't pulled this completely out of thin air - it is based off various recipes I've tried over the past few months! Plus, I recently purchased coconut oil - which I am wayyy too excited about - and have been dying to incorporate it into my cooking.


Coconut & Muesli Slice (makes 6+ slices)



Ingredients:

1 cup wholewheat oats

1/4 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond meal)
1 tsp chia seeds
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries and sultanas)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 egg

Pre heat the oven 180 degrees, and line a small baking tray with baking paper (feel free to double this recipe as I often make small quantities of things - with only two people at home things often don't get eaten quick enough!)

Place the oats in a food processor and briefly pulse a few timse, just to break them up slightly. I find that this helps the slice hold together a bit better, but you can leave the oats whole.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
In a small pot over low heat, melt together the coconut oil and honey. Add to the dry ingredients, add the egg and mix together.
Spoon into the prepared tin, and pop in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into slices of your desired size.
Enjoy!

This slice isn't overly sweet, so more honey or dried fruit could easily be added for those of you with a sweet tooth. I currently have a chocolate cake in the oven for the first time in aaaages. I'm using this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs, and I am dying to see how it will turn out!
What are your favourite healthy snacks? Do you try and bake your own?
Reanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment