photo home.jpg  photo about.jpg  photo adventures.jpg  photo eat.jpg

Monday, November 4, 2013

Apple & Raisin Muffins (Low-Gluten)

I am almost free of exams! This morning I survived my three hour Psychology exam (I'll be honest, it doesn't really take three hours), I have just submitted another assignment, and I have one essay to work on over the next week! However, procrastination got the better of me the other day. So procrasti-bake I did.
After meandering through a few gluten-free muffin recipes, I finally came across one that suited the ingredients I had on hand. With a bit of tweaking (I am slowly starting to get the hang of low-gluten cooking!), I managed to whip up these little muffins, which are perfect for a quick snack. Chris and I both devoured one about 30 seconds after they came out of the oven. Who can resist freshly baked goods?


Apple & Raisin Muffins (Low-Gluten)
(loosely adapted from here)

Ingredients:
100g butter/oil of your choice 
1 egg
180g milk
150g gluten-free plain flour
100g oats (these can be replaced with flour to make the recipe completely gluten free)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2-1 tsp agar-agar powder (or xanatham gum)
50g palm sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, grated
1/4 sultanas

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius, and line a 12-mufffin tray.
If using butter or coconut oil, melt before combining with the milk and egg. Set aside, and combine the flour, oats, baking powder, agar agar, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the apple and sultanas. Feel free to taste the mixture and adjust sweetness if needed (I am forever eating batter out of the bowl haha!)
Spoon the mixture - about 1/4 cup quantities - into the muffin try, and pop in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
Enjoy! 


I was surprised at how soft these muffins were, considering some of the experience I have had with gluten free recipes.
In other news, Pip's blogging course has started, so look out for some changes around here!

Reanna.


No comments:

Post a Comment